[postgis-users] spatial analysis of raster data from postgis

Robert W. Burgholzer rburghol at vt.edu
Thu Mar 25 08:49:57 PST 2004

Hello,
Has anyone any experience with interfacing PostGIS with raster data for the
purpose of spatial analysis of intersections with postGIS vector shapes and
grid data?

My idea is to store raster in files and allow postgis SQL commands to perform
"zonal summaries" and the like, for example, I would like to take a raster
containing slope information, and compute the average slope for a set of
overlapping vectors in a PostGIS database.

My guess is that this could be accomplished using already available tools and
writing some custom SQL functions to handle passing the values in and out of
postgresql.

Has anyone done anything like this, or know of the specific libraries that I
might want to use to  accomplish this?

Thanks,

robert burgholzer

Robert W. Burgholzer
rburghol at veetee dot edu
History of Nutrition: "Buddha probably consumed a high-carb diet."