[postgis-users] functions to do spatial analysis' and test relationship btw spatial objects

Saurabh Data saurabhdata at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 30 15:08:41 PST 2004

Dear USers

OpenGIS "Simple Features Specification for SQL"  list various object data
types (like point, multipoint, curve, linestring, multicurve,
multilinestring, surface, polygon, multisurface, multipolygon) to represent
spatial objects.
It also lists the functions that support spatial analysis (like distance,
buffer, convexhull, intersection, union , difference, symdifference) and
functions that test ‘spatial relationship between spatial objects’ (like
contains, disjoint, intersects, touches, crosses, within, contains,
overlaps, relate).

I am sure that postGIS supports various functions on data types but does
PostGIS has
functions to do spatial analysis' and test relationship btw spatial objects.

Also, if anyone knows if mySQL supports it ?

I am trying to compare the functionalities of postGIS and mySQL.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Saurabh Data

Saurabh Data
School of Computing
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT
U.K.

one who seeketh , will findeth and all door shall open - james Allen