[postgis-users] Converting a shapefile to postGIS

Carl Anderson carl.anderson at vadose.org
Wed Mar 31 17:07:06 PST 2004

On 03/31/2004 01:07:49 PM, "Okeh, Sam" wrote:
> Sorry folks, I have done it again - omitde a title to my post
>

> We have a shape file called Streets in our data catalog.
>
> I need to convert this to PostGIS using shpPg.

Sam is referencing a perl based custom (un)/loader for PostGIS data.
(It's origin predates PostGIS and dates to 1996).

Sam has fallen victim to the capitalization means something trap that
Win32's sometimes discover.

Sam, you should also look at shp2pgsql as an additional loader.
It is available on all the Solaris workstation boxes at your place of
work.

C.

Touching this,

I could drop the use of my custom toys IF shp2pgsql and pgsql2shp used
in a round trip had the ability to regenerate the EXACT original XBase
structure.  Including the scale elements.
not just varchar but varchar(4)
not just int4 but numeric(9,0)

Doing round trips into Arcview / ArcGIS / ArcInfo is so much easier
when you can predict what you are going to get.