[postgis-users] Massive Lidar Dataset Datatype Suggestions?

collin collin at socrates.berkeley.edu
Sat Nov 13 14:39:47 PST 2004

I agree that post-production DEM analysis should be in raster.  However
what we are doing is processing the raw laser points to generate the
raster grids.

Interpolating the raw data into raster without categorization produces
significant information loss.

Most of our effort right now is working on algorithms to categorize the
points into ground, middle, and canopy.  The ground & canopy points are
then exported and interpolated into grids (1x1 meter resolution).

Collin