[postgis-users] problem importing e00 files

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Sun Nov 28 13:36:06 PST 2004

Hi,

I'm not sure which list this is best sent to, but I'll start with the expert
advice available here :-) I'll give the background, then describe the problem.

I'm building simple GIS of Antarctic data derived from various sources,
including the SCAR ADD for coastline & ice shelf, bathymetry built from a
global topo grid using GMT, CCAMLR regions and weekly sea-ice cover info from
NATICE.

The data is all imported into PostGIS tables, reprojected to a common Polar
Stereographic projection & primarily uses QGIS to view it, although a few tools
are also used to export shapefiles, MapInfo files & some scripts to generate
files to use with R & GMT for different users of the data. Some overlay &
analysis is done from the psql command line.

My problem is with the conversion of some of the sea ice data files. These are
all downloaded from the NATICE center at NOAA. At present I'm just using the
summer (Jan/Feb) data from 2003/2004, but I need to load more data.

For 2003 & 2004 I can use either avcimport/ogr2ogr/(shp2psql) or e00psql to
load the NATICE e00 files into the PostGIS db. For earlier years this fails. I
do get data into PostGIS tables (or create shapefiles), but it is garbage as
far as the polygons are concerned. I can get the LINESTRINGs (arcs) imported
OK, however.

The NATICE data is available at
http://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/antarctica/arc_coverages/ross_sea_arc/

the 2002 file
http://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/antarctica/arc_coverages/ross_sea_arc/2002/ross020107.e00
is an example of the files I can't read.

Any suggestions/pointers appreciated.

  Brent Wood