[postgis-users] shapelib

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 1 07:06:04 PDT 2004

pinktomate wrote:
> hello peace for all
>
> I need to install shape lib but it requires just do a "make", install
> some libraries and...????, doesn't work, how to activate the commands,
> this is the mesage

Dear Pinktomate,

Try "make lib lib_install".

I think I will need to prepare a more standard build and installation
environment for the next shapelib release.  My stone age approach seems
unpopular.  :-)

Note, the lib and lib_install targets may not work for you on nonstandard
platforms.  If so, I would suggest:

% ar r libshp.a shpopen.o dbfopen.o
% cp libshp.a /usr/local/lib
% cp shapefil.h /usr/local/include

My original thinking was to keep shapelib dead simple, and so people could
easily incorporate it into their applications. But the weight of history seems
to be encouraging me to treat shapelib as a proper installable package even
though it is small and simple.

Best regards,