[postgis-users] Quick Note for XP Home Users and Win32 PostgreSQL8.0 beta 1 installer

Godwin, Elizabeth Godwinl at AGR.GC.CA
Mon Oct 4 06:00:34 PDT 2004

Hi,

I'm very new to PostGIS, and through reading the online docs, it was
suggested to use the installer from
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pginstaller

I did this (I'm running Win XP Pro SP1) and it worked fantastically. The
install process creates a new user that runs the service. I installed
8.0 beta 2 I think (most recent as of last week).  After that I ran the
PostGIS installer from
http://dcmms.sourceforge.net/postgis_installer.php

Again, it worked great (even after a reboot).  I'm very appreciative
that there are windows binaries available.

Liz Godwin

-----Original Message-----
From: postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net
[mailto:postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net] On Behalf Of Mark
Rodrigo
Sent: October 3, 2004 10:39 PM
To: postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net
Subject: [postgis-users] Quick Note for XP Home Users and Win32
PostgreSQL8.0 beta 1 installer

Hello:

Just a quick note if you are tying to install this
http://www.webbased.co.uk/mca/postgresql-8.0-beta1-postgis.msi
on a XP Home machine.  Any ways, I ran into troubles with the service
not starting on reboots. I granted the "logon as service" rights using
the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4
ae7-
96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en to my postgres account, and it held
through reboots. This is done with the following line in the Resource
Kit Path : C:\Program Files\Window Resource Kits\Tools> ntrights +r
SeServiceLogonRight -u postgres

That seemed to get it. Accessing the build from PGAdmin III, and works
good. Thanks to Mark in the UK.

Mark