[postgis-users] line from points (& feature manipulation/editing)

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Tue Oct 5 00:58:24 PDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 12:02:54AM -0700, Wood Brent wrote:

> --- strk at refractions.net wrote:
>

> > > how I can to create a line or polyline  from a collection of points with
> > > coordinates, inside of postgis of course
> >
> > This is an unavailable feature, being discussed.
> > How would you specify the ordering of the composing points ?
>
> Summat I'm also interested in, improved feature editing & manipulation in
> PostGIS, building lines from points, assembling polygons from lines, merging
> polygons by removing shared borders, splitting polygons by inserting a new
> line, etc....

Isn't "merging polygons" already implemented by GeomUnion ?

> At present, I believe GRASS 5.7 is perhaps the best tool for this? JUMP/JTS is
> also there, but doesn't do what I need. QGIS may get there, it is certainly
> adding functionality quite rapidly.
>
> Is there a way to have PostGIS use something like the JTS natively, much as it
> uses GEOS now, to implement such capabilities?

mmm. what do you mean by natively ?
GEOS is a JTS port. Everything available in JTS can be made available
in PostGIS.

> But to specify the line vertex order from point features, you would need some
> attribute(s) to provide an explicit order. In many cases I work with, this
> could be a timestamp, to turn a set of stations into a track.
>
> ie: something like
>
> select linefrompoint(the_geom) where <...> order by <ordering_attr(s)>
>
> to create a line from a set of points selected & ordered from a table of
> points.
> (unless I'm missing something...)

Yes. You're missing that ORDER BY acts on the result set, which in this
case is a single record.
If you want to use it to order aggregate input you should do:

SELECT linefrompoint(
	(SELECT the_geom FROM <table> ORDER by <ordering_attr(s)>)
);

Which is use a subselect to feed ordered values to the aggregate.

--strk;