[postgis-users] Quick Note for XP Home Users and Win32PostgreSQL8.0 beta 1 installer

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Wed Oct 6 04:40:33 PDT 2004

(cut)

> btw while it's nice to have a single installer bundle, it's
> also pretty convenient to have a seperate postGIS installer.
>
> thanks.

Hi Paul,

The reason that the installer was done as a single bundle is because it was
believed necessary to compile PostgreSQL with non-standard flags to prevent
exceptions in GEOS from crashing the backend. The version of the installer
above has this modification - with the separate installer, you must use the
binary distribution which has been compiled with standard flags.

I think when Dave (Blasby) looked into this to begin with it was a bug in
glibc.... Does anyone know whether this has been fixed in the version of gcc
supplied with MingW? If someone could post to the list an SQL command that
throws a GEOS exception then it would be good for someone to test this....
(my build environment was lost when my workstation died, so I need time to
rebuilt it :( ).

Kind regards,

Mark.

------------------------
WebBased Ltd
South West Technology Centre
Tamar Science Park
Plymouth
PL6 8BT

T: +44 (0)1752 791021
F: +44 (0)1752 791023
W: http://www.webbased.co.uk

This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended recipient
and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please
delete it from your system and notify the sender. You should not copy it or
use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute its contents to any other
person.