FW: [postgis-users] RE: [postgis-devel] GML and XY,XYM,XYZ,XYZM

Darko Androsevic dandrosevic at galdosinc.com
Wed Oct 6 18:06:24 PDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: David S. Burggraf [mailto:burggraf at galdosinc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 3:19 PM
To: Martin Daly; Darko Androsevic
Cc: Ron Lake (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [postgis-users] RE: [postgis-devel] GML and XY,XYM,XYZ,XYZM

Hi Martin, my previous email bounced from the email reflector as I am not a
member. Can you post my response?

If M is a measure in a Linear reference system, then it is likely a measure
along a curve in some units (percent, meters, ...) and gml:pos (or
gml:posList) can be used to encode XYM, XYZM, ... The srsName needs to point
to a CompoundCRS, which consists of a 2D (or 3D) CRS for the XY (or XYZ) and
a 1D Linear CRS for the M ordinate. Note that if the Linear CRS is defined
in GML, then an application schema will be required as there is no
predefined LinearCRS in GML (the closest thing is an gml:EngineeringCRS that
uses a gml:LinearCS together with a GML Coordinate Operation).

Best regards,

David.