[postgis-users] installing postgis on Mandrake 10

Gustavo Alcides Concheiro Pérez gacp at d-konstruktors.org
Tue Oct 12 15:39:23 PDT 2004

Hi all!  First post to the list! :)

I've been using PostGIS and MapServer successfully in the past, having
installed the whole thing from the RPMs.  But I have a new server, and I
installed Mandrake 10.  The RMPs no longer work, as the PostGIS one
conflict with the PostgreSQL RPMs for Mandrake and using the whole set of
RPMs conflicts with several Mandrake packages, including phpPgAdmin, and
it seems that the data format has changed for PostgreSQL as well!  I guess
I'm spoiled, having tools like Knoppix, Apache, TikiWiki, &c., but I can't
believe just how difficult this one case is.  After days of chasing libs
and installing, uninstalling, and reinstalling things, I just give up, and
cry for help.

I guess I could compile the whole thing from source, but I'm not familiar
with that; I *have* compiled and installed software in many instances, but
never something as complex.  One thing that scares me is the spectrum of
losing the data in the database; I'm quite used to move websites around,
including MapServer stuff, but the structure of the PostgreSQL database
files baffles me.

Any help appreciated.  TIA.

-Gustavo

--