[postgis-users] Buffer() Arc Tolerance

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Oct 13 09:32:53 PDT 2004

For nitty gritty the details, sometime you have to "use the source, Luke".

 From PostGIS source:

     Geometry *g3 = g1->buffer(width);

So, PostGIS is not defining a stroke angle, or using anything other than
the defaults, it's the GEOS code which is controlling what is done.

Hitting the GEOS code, source/operation/buffer is the place to go, but
the documentation of DEFAULT_QUADRANT_SEGMENTS seems a bit thin. I can
tell you that the default is 8, which is what PostGIS uses.

What do you mean by the arc tolerance? The number of vertices used to
approximate the circular structure?