[postgis-users] GiST questions

Michael Mallete mrmallete at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 01:19:32 PDT 2004

hello everyone!

i've been testing this postgresql-8.0beta windows port
with postgis-0.9.

anyway, data query is painfully slow. so what i did
was to make use of GiST.

but when i did, when i run vacuum analyze; it stops
when it reaches the geometry column part.

my question is how do you properly build GiST indexes?
is there an index naming convention, like:

CREATE INDEX certainnamingconvention ON spatialtable
  USING GIST ( geom GIST_GEOMETRY_OPS );

 or i could randomly create the index name:

CREATE INDEX randomindexname ON spatialtable
  USING GIST ( geom GIST_GEOMETRY_OPS );

hope you guys can help me out. thanx in advance! :)