[postgis-users] Anti-meridian and polar polygon question

Ken Tanaka Ken.Tanaka at noaa.gov
Wed Oct 20 12:12:13 PDT 2004

Hello,

 I'm new to this list and have a general question on PostGIS's
capabilities. I spent a little time searching the list archives, but
didn't see this question asked before. Are polygons that cross the
anti-meridian (international date line) or encircle the poles allowed?

For example is it valid to define a 2x1 degree Pacific box with lon,lat
coordinates of 179,0 -179,0 -179,1 179,1? Could I then expect to get
correct area calculations or select other geometry within 100km of this
area?

(text diagram, use monospaced font)
       180
179,1   :   -179,1
  +----------+
  |     :    |
  +----------+
179,0   :   -179,0

I was also wondering if PostGIS can similarly deal with a polygon that
goes around a pole, like the coastline of Antarctica?

The Informix DB with the Geodetic Datablade option handles these, but
does anyone know of other spatially enabled databases that can also do
this, either free or commercial? I'm involved with a system design team
that is monitoring GIS capabilities available.

Thanks,
Ken

--
= Geospatial Data Services Group ==================
| CIRES, National Geophysical Data Center / NOAA  |