[postgis-users] Anti-meridian and polar polygon question

Richard_D_Levine at raytheon.com Richard_D_Levine at raytheon.com
Fri Oct 22 09:09:39 PDT 2004

It is a separately licensed and installed capability, though it is
automatically installed when you do an Enterprise install.  I've used it
fairly extensively and it is fast, robust, and accurate, though the syntax
and semantics are arcane.  It is not very OpenGIS compliant, so don't
expect to port to anything else easily.  I hid the spatial implementation
details inside PL*SQL packages behind innocuous sounding procedures, like
Make_Circle(point, radius, SRID), to enhance portability.

PostgreSQL doesn't support packages, so you would have to put all of your
procedures into a separate schema to mimic the naming.  My package was
named Geometries, so when I do this in PostgreSQL I will create a schema
named Geometries to contain work-alike functions.  I think I should be able
to maintain most queries that run against either platform by doing this,
but I haven't done it yet, so that is speculation.

Rick

|---------+--------------------------------------------->
|         |           "Ken Tanaka" <Ken.Tanaka at noaa.gov>|
|         |           Sent by:                          |
|         |           postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refr|
|         |           actions.net                       |
|         |                                             |
|         |                                             |
|         |           10/22/2004 10:54 AM               |
|         |           Please respond to PostGIS Users   |
|         |           Discussion                        |
|         |                                             |
|---------+--------------------------------------------->
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                              |
  |       To:       PostGIS Users Discussion <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net>             |
  |       cc:                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: [postgis-users] Anti-meridian and polar polygon question                 |

Thanks for mentioning this, I hadn't realized that Oracle had this
capability. Although we use Oracle quite a bit, it's always had ArcSDE
layered on top of it, which certainly doesn't handle ellipsoid based
models in its current version. So we've been chopping things on the
antimeridian to keep the ArcSDE layer happy.

-Ken