[postgis-users] Loading data

Robert Aldridge bamarob55 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 1 21:51:29 PST 2005

Hello list,

I'm attempting to load two (rural) counties' TIGER
roads into PostGIS using

shp2pgsql county_1_roads myschema.roads > roads_1.sql
shp2pgsql county_2_roads myschema.roads > roads_2.sql

I combined roads_1.sql and roads_2.sql being careful
to change the last line in the resulting file to:

SELECT setval ('myschema.roads_gid_seq', 17033, true);

where 17033 is the sum of the values in this line in
roads_1.sql and roads_2.sql.

I keep getting the error:

ERROR:  syntax error at or near "." at character
7608823

Is there a tool (in Linux) that I can use to find the
LINE in the SQL file where character 7608823 occurs?
I normally use Vim to edit text files, but if you can
go to a specific character based on count with Vim,
it's beyond my Vim knowledge (which wouldn't suprise
me).

Thanks for any assistance you can provide,

Robert Aldridge