[postgis-users] Loading data

Robert Aldridge bamarob55 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 10:27:52 PDT 2005

As serveral people have pointed out (thanks!), using
the "-a" flag with shp2pgsql on my second (and any
subsequent) shapefile(s) generates SQL files that can
be loaded while avoiding the duplicate GID's.

So, my solution:

1. shp2pgsql shaperoads myschema.roadstable | psql -d
roadsdb
2. shp2pgsql -a shaperoads2 myschema.roadstable | psql
-d roadsdb

Works like a charm!  I repeated this for the hydrology
lines and hydrology polygons for the two counties that
I had downloaded.  Now I have two counties' worth of
roads and hydrology data in my PostGIS database.
Cool!

Thanks again,

Robert