[postgis-users] Problems with GeomUnion

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Fri Apr 8 06:20:48 PDT 2005

Hi, Bill,

Bill Binko schrieb:

> Now I need a way to fix self-intersecting shapes.  I wonder why I didn't
> get errors when loading the shapefiles into the database!

Geometry validity check is a rather expensive operation, especially on
polygons with lots of vertices, it costs lots of CPU.

Imagine you have one machine where you prepare your GIS database, and
then dump it and restore your dump on your production servers. Checking
the validity simply would slow down this process unecessarily.

The current CVS version of the postgis manual has a section telling you
how you can manually force this check on geometry loading.

Markus