RES: [postgis-users] Nearest point on line

Rich Gibson rich at testingrange.com
Mon Apr 11 14:08:38 PDT 2005

The trick is that your linestring geometry is defining a list of line
segments, not one monolithic line, so before this technique will work you
need to find the line segment that contains your closest point.

One way to do this is to walk the points in your line string and calculate
the nearest point for each line segment, and then calculate the distance
for each of those nearest points with the linked technique, and use the
closest one.