[postgis-users] Distances from geometries other than points

Julian Scarfe julian at avbrief.com
Fri Apr 15 11:13:55 PDT 2005

From: "Markus Schaber" <schabi at logix-tt.com>

> If all your objects are in a relatively small area and not distributed
> over the whole planet, you can project() them

Unfortunately they are globally distributed, so they would need a different
projection for each query.

> Well, the best doc should be the PostgreSQL documentation about writing
> C functions, and the best examples should be the PostGIS sourcecode
> itself.

Yes, I already have some of the functions for PostgreSQL points using
spherical (rather than spheroidal) trig.  But PostgreSQL points and rtree
indexes are, of course, much less capable than PostGIS and GiST when it
comes to planning spatial queries, hence I really have to think about
PostGIS in the medium term.

(See also http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-04/msg00419.php
for my discussion with Tom Lane on this.  Any corrections to my
misconceptions about PostGIS in that thread would be welcome.)

> I also invite you to submit your changes back to the PostGIS
> project for inclusion. :-)

Thanks Markus, I'll certainly consider that if I get anywhere.  Your message
served as a useful reminder, as PostgreSQL itself is not GPL.

Julian