[postgis-users] 2d VS 3d Point

James Marca jmarca at translab.its.uci.edu
Thu Apr 21 10:15:17 PDT 2005

I agree.  I would go further.  Keep your geometries in a separate
table altogether, and link to the raw data with a join table.  Then
you can tag points with speed, timestamp, etc if you want, or not.
And you can combine point geometries into line geometries, and link
that table to the original data (one line to many data records) and
tag the line with timestamps and speeds.  Finally, in a time-space
prism, the speed is important, and so you'll find that you might want
to know altitude.  Walking uphill is slower than walking downhill,
which will warp your prism perpendicular to the altitude gradient.

hope that helps.
James