[postgis-users] inserting records via web-client

Bart van den Eijnden BEN at Syncera-ITSolutions.NL
Mon Dec 5 23:02:46 PST 2005

I would say Geoserver is mostly WFS but also does WMS. For Mapserver I would state it the other way round, Mapserver does mostly WMS but also does WFS.

Geoserver is WFS-T (transactional), Mapserver is a read-only WFS. And yes Geoserver is J2EE whereas Mapserver is C CGI.

Wrt the 3-tier, the 2 deepmost tiers (spatial db and WFS-T) could run on the same machine, or with a fast network in between them, so performance would not really be worse. The architecture would be easier to maintain and you could more easily plugin replacement components (a different WFS-T) if needed.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Bart

Bart van den Eijnden
Syncera IT Solutions
Postbus 270
2600 AG  DELFT

tel.nr.: 015-7512436
email: BEN at Syncera-ITSolutions.nl
>>> hydromap at gmail.com 12/06/05 5:53 AM >>>
Whoa! Thanks guys... sounds like its gonna be trivial.

What would be some advantages to taking the abstract 3 tier approach? Any
performance issues?

Also (sorry this may be slightly off-topic) am I correct in my understanding
that Geoserver is kinda like a Java substitute to Mapserver?

cheers
sb