[postgis-users] Installing PostGIS - createlang plpgsql / lwpostgis.sql / spatial_ref_sys.sql?

Adam adam at jamradar.com
Mon Dec 26 12:16:15 PST 2005

I'm at the part in installing PostGIS where I'm doing:

1.  PostGIS requires the PL/pgSQL procedural language extension. Before
use the createlang command. The PostgreSQL Programmer's Guide has the
details if you want to this manually for some reason.

# createlang plpgsql [yourdatabase]

2.  Now load the PostGIS object and function definitions into your database
by loading the lwpostgis.sql definitions file.

# psql -d [yourdatabase] -f lwpostgis.sql

3.  The PostGIS server extensions are now loaded and ready to use.
For a complete set of EPSG coordinate system definition identifiers, you can
also load the spatial_ref_sys.sql definitions file and populate the
SPATIAL_REF_SYS table.

# psql -d [yourdatabase] -f spatial_ref_sys.sql

My question is:  Are you loading the PostGIS extensions on a Database by
Database level?  If I start a new database will it just be a plain
PostgreSQL DB until you do the above commands, and at that point when the
commands finish will the DB now be PostGIS enabled?