[postgis-users] Installing PostGIS - createlang plpgsql / lwpostgis.sql / spatial_ref_sys.sql?

Adam adam at jamradar.com
Mon Dec 26 12:48:20 PST 2005

Below you can see I'm getting this error:

[postgres at localhost postgis-1.1.0]$ psql  -s -d geo -f lwpostgis.sql
***(Single step mode: verify
command)*******************************************
BEGIN;
***(press return to proceed or enter x and return to
cancel)********************

BEGIN
***(Single step mode: verify
command)*******************************************
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION histogram2d_in(cstring)
        RETURNS histogram2d
        AS '$libdir/liblwgeom.so.1.1', 'lwhistogram2d_in'
        LANGUAGE 'C' IMMUTABLE STRICT;
***(press return to proceed or enter x and return to

psql:lwpostgis.sql:39: NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not yet defined
DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
psql:lwpostgis.sql:39: ERROR:  could not load library
"/usr/local/pgsql/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.1": libgeos_c.so.1: cannot open shared
object file:
No such file or directory

I looked up this error and I found that you need to run "ldconfig" to solve
this.  I read that this is a common problem on Linux.  Would it be possible
to get the FAQ to include this isse?