[postgis-users] Error when running probe_geometry_columns()

Obe, Regina DND\MIS robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Mon Feb 7 05:04:58 PST 2005

I'm running postgis 1.0 RC1 (I think - its 1.0 version at any rate)

I get the following error when running probe_geometry_columns()

ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint "geometry_columns_pk"

Basically I'm starting off with an empty geometry_columns() and trying to
populate it using probe_geometry_columns().  (My prior dump had a
geometry_columns table whose structure is different from the 1.0 standard so
that's why I'm doing it this way).

If I drop the index on the geometry_columns table, it works of course it
puts in duplicates.

The duplicates only seem to occur on tables where I have 2 geometry columns,
but not always.

E.g. on one example table where I have a point geometry and a multipolygon
geometry, I get 4 rows instead of 2.  Each row being duplicated.

The single geometry tables seem to be fine as far as I can tell.

I have one 2 geometry column table that doesn't seem to have duplicates. On
closer inspection of that table, I notice I only have check constraints on
one of the geometry columns whereas the others where I am having issues I
have for both geometry columns (resulting in 4 constraints total - 1 to
verify the SRID for each geom and 1 to verify the geometry type of each
geom.)