[postgis-users] PostgreSQL 7.1 support

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Wed Feb 9 02:52:47 PST 2005

Hi, Alex,

alexbodn at 012.net.il schrieb:

> to compile postgis jdbc, we always need the javac, so what we need
> might be a small java program that would use the postgresql.jar from
> the classpath, and print the pgjdbc version on stdout. the output
> might serve for code preprocessing (postgis sql scripts contain
> embedded #ifdef's for cpp).
>
> also, for packaging purposes, there should be known what pgjdbc
> served to compile postgis jdbc, and the jar depends on it.

I personally do not like the hassle that introducing preprocessing into
java brings up.

There is no standard regarding preprocessing in java (I saw ANT filters,
C preprocessor, AWK, SED, Bash eval expansion and even Perl Scripts.),
and the most annoying thing is that I know no IDE or syntax highlighting
java editor that is really preprocessor aware. Automatic bug checking
and such do not work, as well as the refactoring tools.

>> As far as I know, PostGIS itsself only supports 7.2 and upper.
>
> the postgis documentation and sources show support for 7.1 and later.

Oh, that's weird, as I remember several statements from strk that 7.2 is
the oldest supported version.

Maybe the documentation should be updated.

>> Is there any real need to use a pgjdbc 7.1 jar against a 7.2 server
>> running PostGIS?
>
> nice joke. i would rather think pgjdbc 7.1 with pgsql 7.1.

It was not meant as a joke at all, as I wrote under the premise that 7.2
is the oldest server version supported by PostGIS.

Markus
--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich