[postgis-users] postgis newbie AsSVG question

Havard Tveite havard.tveite at umb.no
Wed Feb 16 00:44:32 PST 2005

Sean M. Montague wrote:
> The select statement below is close to what I'm looking for.  I don't know if I'm imagining this, but I thought it was possible to define a box and extract just what is inside that box, clipping all that lies outside, including polygons.  Is this possible using a different sql statement?
>
> SELECT AsSVG(the_geom,0,8) as the_geom FROM usa WHERE the_geom && GeomFromText('BOX3D(-2243528 2679134,-1689106 2002338)'::box3d,42102);

At page 40 in http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/postgis.pdf :

Intersection(geometry,geometry)
Returns a geometry that represents the point set intersection
of this Geometry with anotherGeometry.
Performed by the GEOS module
Do not call with a GeometryCollection as an argument
OGC SPEC s2.1.1.3

--
Håvard Tveite
Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology, UMB