[postgis-users] simplify lat long data

Brent Wood baw at tangaroa.niwa.co.nz
Thu Jan 6 15:31:48 PST 2005

While I believe it would be useful to allow a units parameter for the
simplify function, supporting a correct spheroidal approach with lat/long
data, I believe it is possible to use transform with simplify to obtain a
meters based tolerance (I'm at sea right now & haven't tried this- someone
more knowledgable than me can correct me if I'm wrong)

eg, something along the lines of:
transform(simplify(transform(the_geom, <meter based SRID>),100),4326)

will give a 100m tolerance for simlifying a lat/long feature.

Brent Wood