[postgis-users] FGDC/ISO ... Metadata

Homme Zwaagstra hrz at geodata.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jan 18 01:17:11 PST 2005

Yves,

I think it's the usual case of finding a backend to suit your
application; no one solution does everything for everyone! Our FGDC
aware application was required to store a complete and valid metadata
entry but only required to query a narrow range of elements. We
therefore opted for a simple approach of placing the XML metadata in a
blob and copying the data of the queryable elements into separate
indexed fields in the same row. Our client application was responsible
for ensuring the XML data was valid when managing the postgres
database.

A solution that wasn't available to us when we were designing our
application, but which looks to be of interest is the xpsql project at
<http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/xpsql/projdisplay.php>.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Homme Zwaagstra

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 02:00:50PM -0500, Moisan Yves wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am wondering about how to link metadata to individual data entries in a postGIS DB.  What seems most sensible is to avoid making a huge number of tables/fields (e.g. to accomodate something like FDGC-CSDGM that has close to 400 elements) only to find the tables are scarcely populated and rather consider metadata as "documents" pertaining to individual data elements or data groups (e.g. all measurements from sonde X).  I am trying to think of metadata backends to support such document-style metadata and I am wondering what other people use to attach metadata to their postGIS data.  Any users of native XML backends (e.g. Berkeley DB XML) alongside postGIS ?
>
> Given the existence of XML Schemas for many metadata standards, it would seem logical to use an XML backend both to store and validate the metadata.  That obviously raises a problem of having another backend.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Yves Moisan

Homme Zwaagstra
GeoData Institute