[postgis-users] new to postgris and GIS information systems and looking for info

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Thu Jan 20 07:36:19 PST 2005

Hi, Ries,

Ries van Twisk schrieb:

> What I want to do...
> I have a DB with a lot of coordinates (long/lat) of city's and places
> from all over the world....

PostGIS should serve fine as backend providing those data to a rendering
frontend (e. G. mapserver).

> What I'm looking for is province area information so I can draw lines of
> countrys and provinces and place a big colorfull dot of the city where the user was looking for.

For the US, the Tiger data is a free, medium quality source of such
information.

For europe, our company has licensed the data from NavTeq, but expect to
pay some money for them.

HTH,
markus

--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich