[postgis-users] Problem with PostGIS 1.0.0 RC1

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Mon Jan 24 01:33:22 PST 2005

Hi, Mark,

Mark Cave-Ayland schrieb:

> I think that a cast would be the easiest way as it would then only be
> necessary to write a simple cast function which we can then use with WKB and
> EWKB geometries.

I did not talk aobut the difference between WKB and EWKB, but about the
different handling of "binary" (E)WKB and "hex encoded" (E)WKB.

But maybe I missed the point of the original discussion.

>>Another way would be to simply have the parser method
>>understanding both
>>input formats, using if() or ?: to distinguish both methods of source.
>
> Given that PostgreSQL is strongly typed, I think this is a really bad idea -
> if there are two different types being fed into a function then PostgreSQL
> really should be aware of it IMHO.

Yes, this is what I wanted. For PostgreSQL, this are two differend
functions that use two different entry points in the C lib.

But the C lib may _internally_ use a single function that knows how to
deal with both binary and hex-encoded representations, as well as both
WKB and EWKB.

Markus
--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich