[postgis-users] PostgreSQL 7.3.x and 7.2.x

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 01:32:34 PST 2005

Hi Michael,

Yes it is possible. In my setup here I create individual users for each
version of PostgreSQL, e.g. pg74, pg80 and compile the source as each user
using a configure prefix similar to --prefix=/home/pg74/rel so that each
release is kept in it's own directory. I then add the ~/rel/bin and
~/rel/lib directories to the PATH for that particular user. For each user I
can then just use su, for example for PG 7.4 I can do "su - pg74" and then
initdb a fresh database cluster. Once this is completed it is simply a
matter of changing each postgresql.conf so that each version of PG listens
on a different port number and then starting the postgresql server using
pg_ctl as normal.

Hope this helps,

Mark.

WebBased Ltd