[postgis-users] architectural status of shp2pgsql?

gold dev at samizdatdigital.org
Sun Jul 3 09:59:50 PDT 2005

shp2pgsql is nice, but i'm either going to radically modify my local
version, or cut something new, and i'm wondering if there is any planned
or ongoing work to that effect?

in particular, i'd like to see the functionality split a bit, as well as
some things added:

* split up the metadata sniffing/table creation part into a separate module

* use this module in two places -- shp2pgsql and dbf2pgsql (to be
created). i realize (from the discussion in march, i think) that there
is a dbf2pg in the postgres contrib, but it's not much to my liking.
also, i'd like to have shp2pgsql and dbf2pgsql running off of a common
io and metadata core.

* add projection (.prj) capabilities to shp2pgsql.

are there already efforts to do this stuff, or, if not, and i end up
doing the work, are there people out there willing to do code reviews
and provide some other guidance?

jon