[postgis-users] Algorithm for Overlaying Areas and Features

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Jul 8 16:58:23 PDT 2005

This is PostGIS land, so the answer looks like this (with variation
for whatever your column names are):

   select count(*) as num_calls, zips.zipcode
   from zips, calls
   where
     zips.the_geom && calls.the_geom
   and
     contains(zips.the_geom,calls.the_geom)
   group by zipcode;

The answer is formulated differently for other tools, but as you
note, it is well understood and oft-repeated.

Paul