[postgis-users] Request for open postgis datasets

Chip Masters chip_masters at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 11 15:55:33 PDT 2005

PostGIS Users,

With help from several of you, I've gotten PostGIS
1.0.1 + PostgreSQL 8.0.3 + GEOS 2.1.2 + Proj 4.4.9 up
and running, and I've ran the OGC compliance tests
provided in the postgis distrubution. Now I need some
data to continue my integration work, and I was hoping
that some of you may know where I can find, or can
even provide me with, some data that I can use. First,
let me explain a little about what I'm trying to do w/
PostGIS:

I work at Cycorp (http://www.cyc.com) which is the
company Doug Lenat founded in 1997 to further the Cyc
project, which he began at MCC back in c. 1985. I
expect some of you have heard of Cyc before, but if
not, our website has a nice overview of our main
goals.

I am the lead developer at Cycorp for our efforts to
build a geospatial ontology in our knowledge base and
to 'spatially enable' Cyc by connecting it to spatial
databases which it can use as a backend for storing,
querying, and manipulating spatial data. We decided to
do our main research using PostGIS because of its OGC
compliance and because we already have a lot of good
experience working with PostgreSQL.

Now that I've got PostGIS running and have read the
SFS, I am ready to begin testing our translations of
CycL queries into SQL92 With Geometry Types queries,
but I need useful datasets. The OGC compliance dataset
is a start, but what I'd really like is general data
about real places. For instance, if anyone had a
PostGIS database of polygons for all the countries of
the world, or all the states in the Union, this would
be ideal. Alternatively, I know where to find
shapefile data for such things, but I don't know of a
straightforward way to translate shapefiles into OGC
SFS compliant data. Does anyone know of tools for
converting shapefiles?

Chip Masters

P.S. Just so this interaction isn't just one-way with
you guys helping me out, if any PostGIS developers
have an interest in, or need for geographic ontologies
(in OWL-Full format), please let me know and I'll see
if we can get a little informal collaboration going.
My project is very small, and cannot fund any
development outside our SOW, but I can certainly
devote some of my own time to providing some examples
of the types of ontologies we're producing under this project.