[postgis-users] Mixing GPL with BSD

Denis Lussier denis at enterprisedb.com
Tue Jul 12 20:16:38 PDT 2005

Hi All,

My company is EnterpriseDB Corp.  We add some proprietary (usually all
made BSD open source within one year) code to PostgreSQL that mostly
focuses on Oracle compatibility.  My problem is that PostGIS is GPL so I
don't see a way I can bundle it into my product offering.   I wouldn't
have a problem if it were LGPL cuz any tweaks or improvements I'd be
more than willing to offer to the community immediately.

I guess I can always just have my commercial customers who want to use
PostGIS separately go ahead and download/install it themselves (perhaps
I'm showing my ignorance if PostGIS needs to be compiled in),  but...  a
separate download/install is inconvenient and less than optimal.  Since
we don't presently have any true Spatial experts in our company at the
moment, we'd also be looking to partner with various community members
to provide professional services and advanced support to our customers.

Any suggestions??

--Denis Lussier

  Chief Architect and Chairman

  EnterpriseDB Corporation

PS  This product must be darn good cuz I've had several potentially
large accounts insist that EDB support it.  It shouldn't be an issue for
us because we certainly allow usage of PL/pgSQL and we strive to
maintain 100% compatability with all features, and add-ons of
PostgreSQL.