[postgis-users] Need some help with storing line segments

Ehud Shabtai eshabtai at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 03:50:56 PDT 2005

On 7/19/05, Brent Wood <pcreso at pcreso.com> wrote:

> I have undertaken a similar exercise, this may not be the best solution, but it
> worked for me. It does require storing your points twice, but the conversion
> into line segments is data driven & managed automatically.
>
> Store your points as points, with an attribute specifying a sequence (along the
> line segment, either explicit, or implicit, such as a timestamp) and a suitable
> line segment ID attribute.

Thanks for the idea, but your suggestion makes it hard to edit the
data. I'd like to use the data in postgis to create a new map. An
interface should allow people to edit the map and correct it. If I go
along with your suggestion, I can only use the lines in the DB for
viewing. When one edits the map he will have to use the point layer
only and ignore the lines.

I was looking for a way to create a line in postgis by pointing the
nodes in the line to points objects. But I guess this is not possible.

Ehud.