[postgis-users] Postgis Simplify

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Mon Jul 25 00:21:08 PDT 2005

> --- Christo Du Preez <christo at mecola.com> wrote:
>
>---------------------------------
>  So Simplify is the right method forreducing the number of points?

Yes. Some GIS's systems call the operation "generalize" instead of simplify,
but it does the same thing.

> Testing SELECT npoints(Simplify(the_geom, 80)), npoints(the_geom)
> produces: 70203, 84990.

So about 15000 vertices could be removed from your original linestring (which
has 84990 vertices) without the new/resulting linestring having any part more
than 80 map units from the original line.

A bit like fitting a generalised line within a 80unit buffer around the
original line, by removing superfluous vertices.

Looks like your map units are not degrees :-)

Hope this helps....

I'm not sure why your data is output in exponential format, I haven't seen that
before, maybe some format setting?

Cheers,

  Brent Wood