[postgis-users] Latitude and longitude distances

Vacuum Joe vacuumjoe at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 27 10:31:12 PDT 2005

Thanks for the scoop on that Ethan.

What I will probably do then is not use PostGIS at
all, but just do this all in native Postgres.
Fortunately for me I don't care about the polar
regions too much, so I can make some approximations to
use a "box" to narrow down my sets that I have to do
actual distance calculations on.  I already have the
formula for calculating distances between lat/lon
pairs so I'll just use that.  Fortunately also there
aren't too many data points at this stage.

Thanks for your help.