[postgis-users] ? different geometry types in one geometry column. Is it possible?

Peter Gatalsky petr709 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 29 05:28:43 PDT 2005

Hi all!

may be my question is too dummy, but anyway, I would
be thankful for reply.

Let's suppose, we have a database table with several
data colums (say, thematic attributes) and one
geometry column. These data attributes refer to both
point and polygon geometries.

Is it possible to put different geometry types (e.g.
point, polygon) in one PostGIS geometry column?

... or I should create 2 tables with the same
structure, but with different type definition of
geometry column, i.e. separately for points and for
polygons?

Thanks a lot in advance for opinions/suggestions!

Best wishes,
              Peter Gatalsky

Researcher, MA, Dipl.-Ing.
http://www.ais.fhg.de/~gatalsky