[postgis-users] How do you use PostGIS?

Gino Lucrezi gino-postgis at lucrezi.net
Mon May 2 04:20:49 PDT 2005

> - Name of the organization

Penta Consulting Services Srl
Based in L'Aquila, Italy, we offer all kinds of services to local governments. GIS is just a small part of our business.

> - Data being managed in the database

Acqueduct and sewerage systems.

Public buildings with their seismic vulnerability data.

> - How the data is being accessed / manipulated

Access is mostly through Mapserver, using a heavily customized version of Maplab.

Manipulation is mostly through ODBC, using MS Access.

> - Why you chose to use PostGIS for the application

I think the main reason for the choice (which happened before I arrived here) was cost; later on we discovered the great advantages of being free to customize software.

Feel free to ask any more questions, however I'll be changing job in a month, and unfortunately I don't think I'll be working with GIS systems anymore :-(

Gino Lucrezi
Penta Consulting Services, Srl