[postgis-users] Re: How do you use Postgis

Jean David TECHER davidtecher at yahoo.fr
Wed May 4 04:40:01 PDT 2005

Hi Andreas

i saw  this link  http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/digi/

GREAT WORK GUY

DU BIST DER BESTE SVG-KACKER :-)
TECHER Jean David
01MAP
e-mail: david at 01map.net
Tél: 04 67 45 60 27
Entreprise: http://www.01map.net
Perso: http://techer.pascal.free.fr/postgis/
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Andreas Neumann
  To: postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net
  Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 11:52 PM
  Subject: [postgis-users] Re: How do you use Postgis

  I'd like to give feedback on how we use Postgis:

  Name of the Organisation:
  Institute of Cartography, ETH Zurich (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology)

  we use postgis for teaching and research projects - more and more
  diploma work is done using postgis as a backend

  ------------

  Data being managed in the database:

  Project related data - currently:
  Mainly topographic data
  - USGS data (e.g. Yosemite National Park)
  - Small scale european data
  - large scale topographic data from swisstopo - our federal mapping agency
  - smaller projects for teaching

  -----------

  how the data is accessed / manipulated

  data is usually prepared in ESRI ArcGIS and later transfered to Postgis
  through the shp2pgsql loader
  data is extracted with PHP and displayed in SVG mapping applications:
  e.g. http://www.carto.net/williams/yosemite/ or
  http://www.carto.net/neumann/phd/prototype/
  you need the Adobe SVG viewer (http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/)
  to view the data, I hope it will also soon run with native svg support
  in firefox/mozilla

  we also created a simple SVG interface for digitizing/updating vector
  data in Postgis through a webbrowser
  we use UMN map server to serve raster data directly to the SVG mapping
  application
  http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/digi/ (still a prototype)

  btw:
  there is also a Postgis/PHP/SVG tutorial available at:
  http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/postgis_geturl/

  -----------

  why you chose to use PostGIS for the application?

  it supports SVG output
  it is stable
  it runs on Linux/Unix
  it supports simplification
  it is ogc compatible
  it is open source
  price

  What PostGIS feature or PostGIS-related software (not necessarily
  internal to PostGIS) would make your life much easier/better?

  - i'd love to see topology and networking support, including finding shortest paths
  - also, i'd love to see multi-column index support that includes a spatial index (is that already possible?, I am unsure about that)

  I'd also like to thank the refractions people and the community for
  their great support!

  All the best,
  Andreas