[postgis-users] some advice

Lars Luthman larsl at users.sourceforge.net
Tue May 10 08:36:33 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 17:12 +0200, Eildert Groeneveld wrote:
> What we would like to do:
> 1. for a set of GPS coordinates show a map that indicates the sample sites.
> 2. perhaps be able to use different kind of maps like rain fall, altitudes
> etc.
> 3. every piece of software including the maps used should be GPL or Open
> Source
> 4. we are currently using PostGresql but we would like to be independent of
> the backend. Thus no PG specific features are used.
> 5. the system is writen in Perl and Perl/Tk
>
> I am sure that there are loads of people here who could point me into the
> right direction. As a first step firing up a map that displays the location
> of a number of samples (10 or 20) would be great.

Have you looked at Quantum GIS (http://qgis.org) ? It's a desktop GIS
that can be used to visualise vector data from PostGIS as well as
shapefiles, GeoTIFFs, and other vector and raster formats supported by
the OGR and GDAL libraries. It's written in C++ using Qt though, not
Perl and Tk, but it should fit all your other conditions. If you want to
replace the backend it's pretty easy to write a new "data provider
plugin" that lets QGIS read a new vector format, and if you want to
expand the GUI it's pretty easy to write plugins for that too.

--
Lars Luthman
PGP key:     http://www.d.kth.se/~d00-llu/pgp_key.php