[postgis-users] Spatial join optimisation

Rhys Ickeringill rhysi at omnilink.com.au
Thu May 12 21:43:16 PDT 2005

Thanks Paul, Bill.

HUGE speed improvement. According to the postgres ANALYSE command your
suggestions cut the estimated query cost by a factor of 1000 (!). My query
hasn't finished yet - judging by how long it took to compute 100 records, my
estimate is one hour for the whole lot.

Bill, the difference between your "quick and dirty" approach and your final
approach is a factor of two or so - purely due to there being no geometry
index on the points, hence the sequential scan in the join goes to the
[larger] points table (and the polygon geometry index is used). If I create
an index on the points table...

CREATE INDEX GeoIdx ON Points USING GIST( SetSRID( MakePoint(
Points.longitude, Points.latitude ), 32767 ) )

this index gets used and your "quick and dirty" approach runs perhaps 10%
slower than your final (and Paul's) approach - I guess this is the overhead
of making points on the fly.

Is it worth (for the benefit of the list) beginning a discussion on what
"geometry operators" are best used with each "geometry processing function",
with an eye to including a "tip" associated with each geometry processing
function's entry in the PostGIS manual? (I'd be happy to do the
documentation changes)

Regards,

Rhys