[postgis-users] retrieve binary data for geometry

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri May 13 11:06:28 PDT 2005

Yes, it is by design. The "canonical form" of geometry has changed from
well-known-text to a variant of well-known-binary that is an exact
representation of the underlying geometry. You should always use the
explicit functions (astext, asbinary) in your applications, for
version-to-version portability.