[postgis-users] postgis & arcview 3.3

El Nico nicky666 at gmail.com
Fri May 13 11:16:52 PDT 2005

> Hello list,
>
> I'm quite familiar to Postgis but much less to ESRI ARc View etc.
>
> Is there a simple possibility to connect Arc View GIS 3.3 to postgis
> (read-only would be enough) . I tried pgarc but I failed. (pgarc seems
> designed for ArcMap and I don't know the difference but I fell it should
> work somewhat similar.)

Hi Hubert,

Yes, PgArc is designed for ArcGIS 8. It is written in VBA.
Basically, it connects to postgis, look at the geographic tables
defined in geometry_columns, and retrieves geometries by parsing WKT
representation and transforming it into features and shapefile.
I'm sure you can do about the same with ArcView and Avenue, by
connecting to a postgis DB with ODBCm though I dont' know if someone
already did that.

Cheers
Nicolas