[postgis-users] RE: geocoding

David Bitner osgis.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 20 10:39:32 PDT 2005

I'm probably the person that you saw in threads working on a plpgsql
geocoder.  Ralph is right, it is much more of a text parsing problem
than a spatial problem.  PL/PGSQL and PL/Perl (great for splitting the
text into component parts with regular expressions --  ie
streetnumber, streetname, street prefix direction etc.)  together with
good indexes and precalculated fields (like metaphones of the
streetnames) can make a very effective text parser and matcher just
utilizing what's good about the PostgreSQL database itself.  Throwing
the line_interpolate_point or centroid (if a polygon based geocoder --
from parcels or zipcodes etc.) from PostGIS into the mix is just
iceing on the cake.