[postgis-users] inlined SQL functions

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Fri Nov 4 09:54:59 PST 2005

Hi, Strk,

strk at refractions.net wrote:

>>This is interesting, thanks for pointing out!
>>I'll make some tests on older postgresql versions.
>
> It seems this feature is only available starting
> at PostgreSQL 7.4 (found in release notes).

Does that mean that older PostgreSQL versions don't provide the "SQL"
procecural language, or that they don't inline them?

We could write small SQL wrappers around "touches", "intersects",
"contains" etc. that prepend the actual function call with a && check to
allow the query planner to do its work. This should pay off for most but
academic cases.

Markus