[postgis-users] Re: Error in SPATIAL_REF_SYS table

Patrick pvanlaake at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 9 13:06:34 PST 2005

Hi Frank,

"Frank Warmerdam" <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote in message
news:931f8ea90511091118y56553892j265d652a2c4b1232 at mail.gmail.com...
> Note that the automated translation of the EPSG database
> has several rules for identifying a datum shift (TOWGS84) value
> to use.
>  o There must only be one.
>  o It must be listed going directly from the datum in question
>    to WGS84.
>
> Many datums in the EPSG database have multiple conversions
> to WGS84 - various approximations appropriate in different local
> areas.  In these cases I give up and supply none.

I see at least two solutions to this issue, but both require something way
past +towgs84.

The first option is to list all possible transformations and let the user
choose. That means user interaction and this may not be all too practical
for a tool like PROJ.4.

The second option is to analyze the EPSG area_of_use information that is
included in several EPSG tables. IIRC all datum transforms have this
information attached to it. Based on the extent of the data to be
transformed you can then choose the appropriate set of parameters. For
PROJ.4 this would require a new file that has all this information in there,
or a live link to the EPSG database in PostgreSQL. The PostGIS
spatial_ref_sys is useless here because it uses your (?) logic (sorry about
that) and thus has no alternatives to offer.

I am working on live interaction with the EPSG database (see my post in this
list on 11/03)and one of my plans is to provide much greater support for
datum transforms. If I get that up and running, you'll be the first to know
(as well as all the other readers of this list). Right now I could still
accommodate any suggestions (yes indeed, I am still only starting the work),
so please fire away if you have any particular wishes regarding specific
types of queries or output formats.

One relatively big hurdle that I am facing is that the EPSG database does
not link towgs84 parameters directly to a datum. Instead, these parameters
are tied to a geogcs through a coordinate operation, and the geogcs has a
datum. This complicates the querying a great deal, especially when trying to
link a set of parameters to a datum. Any suggestions on this particular
issue are especially welcome.

> Some datums also provide shifts to some other intermediate
> datum which then has shifts to WGS84.  My logic is to weak
> to follow these.

Isn't that true for all of us. The EPSG database is one of the more
convoluted databases I have come across in many years, but what a resource
it is!

Cheers,
Patrick