[postgis-users] AddGeometryColumn => column does not exist

John Taber jtaber at johntaber.net
Fri Nov 18 16:52:40 PST 2005

I've done a fresh install of 8.1 postgres/postgis.  I've done the following:
$ createdb newdb
CREATE DATABASE
$ psql newdb
Welcome to psql 8.1.0.....
# CREATE TABLE gtest(ID int4, NAME varchar(20));
CREATE TABLE
# SELECT AddGeometryColumn("gtest","roads_geom",-1,"GEOMETRY",3);
ERROR: column "gtest" does not exist

1) The tutorial and manual 4.2.3 use single quotes - my system chokes on
that with quoted fields shown as unknown and the function doesn't match.

2) I've tried both syntax shown in 4.2.3 (with and without schema name)
and still get the column does not exist error. If the schema is put in
as null ("") the system chokes with ERROR: zero length delimited... If
put in as space (" ") then the column does not exist error appears.

What is wrong here ?